HELEN KORFANTY ADOPTED BY WAVENEY LIBERAL DEMOCRATS
CAMPAIGN 2019 - 29 DAYS TO POLLING DAY
Waveney Lib Dems adopt Helen Korfanty to contest December election
At their meeting and general election campaign launch at Carlton Colville on Tuesday, Lib Dem members in Waveney adopted Helen Korfanty as their parliamentary candidate.
Helen Korfanty has lived in Suffolk for over 30 years and is a highly respected solicitor often working long hours defending citizens' rights. As a Liberal Democrat she was the party's candidate for Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner in 2016 and stood for Bury St Edmunds in the 2017 General Election.
East Suffolk Party Chair and Waveney resident John Shreeve said "We are extremely pleased that Helen has chosen to stand in Waveney. If elected, she will make a first-class MP and her political clarity of mind will ensure that if anyone can champion the needs of Waveney Helen will".
Thanking party members for their support Helen added, "As Liberal Democrats we know that a brighter future for Waveney means staying in the EU but to achieve our goals we must be able to explain how 'Stopping Brexit' is the common thread that connects everything together.
The benefits of being a member of the European Union for 47 years can be seen all around us and there is no trade deal that will ever come close to what the UK currently enjoys. Helen added, "Brexit is far from being our sole message to the electors of Waveney however...
Tackling the Climate Emergency
The LIb Dems have set out a comprehensive 'Green' agenda and no one living along the east coast will need reminding of the need to take further steps to strengthen our flood defences and protect residents and businesses as weather patterns change and river and sea levels rise. Helen added, Lowestoft and Waveney's unique location and role in the renewables and offshore wind sector offers so much in adding employment generating energy.
The Party has announced that a Liberal Democrat government will create a £5bn flood prevention and adaptation fund. The fund will help the UK build resilience against future flooding, and ensure all communities can access the funds they need during periods of crisis. We will also increase DEFRA's budget by £1bn per year, ensuring that non-departmental bodies like the Environment Agency receive more funding. The Tory Brexit agenda risks the UK losing access to vital EU funds for improving flood defences and flood relief. This would starve local communities of a key revenue stream to tackle flooding and build resilience for the future.
Crime and Policing
- The Lib Dems have approved a community based policing policy and are supporting the work of our police so we can all live and work safely. The party has also set out ambitious plans to tackle soaring levels of knife crime, by investing £500 million in youth services adopting a public health approach to youth violence. This would provide young people with positive, safe and healthy opportunities to prevent them being drawn into youth violence and gang-related crime. The party would also make local youth services a statutory service, protecting them from future cuts.
NHS and Social Care
- The Health & Social Care services need long-term sustainability and fair funding for our primary and community health services and and hospitals. We already have serious shortfall in staffing not helped by Brexit and a shortage of GPs has resulted in extended waiting times and some local surgeries in crisis. The Government has dragged it heels over publishing a Green Paper on Social Care and failed to match the agreement for parity for mental health and physical health services.The Lib Dems remain committed to the 1p tax increase to fund our NHS.
- Every child and adult in Waveney deserves access to the best education and training. As recently announced a Liberal Democrat government will provide a package of free child care to families and every adult with £10,000 to spend on education and training throughout your lives. This "Skills Wallet" is meant to give every person the opportunity to retrain and upskill for jobs that we can't even imagine yet.
Putting the heart back into our proud Communities
- Liberal Democrats have always believed in working with local communities, involving them in an open and transparent debate and consulting them about services and planning. So a Liberal Democrat MP for Waveney would work to support our communities and encourage pride and belief in our communities and its values.
Jobs and the economy
- The next MP must step up and show real leadership in representing Waveney as a base to attract new investment and create a dynamic regenerative business policy to bring real jobs back to Waveney inc the vital need for the third crossing.
- Tourism is central to the Waveney economy and jobs and the next MP must be a major player in attracting the resources to improve the infrastructure to help the tourist industry to grow and thrive taking full advantage of our fantastic coast and countryside.
- So called affordable housing is not affordable to large numbers of people and we have to help those on lower incomes who wish to buy, through rent to buy schemes and a real expansion of council housing. We also need to ensure that decent housing standards are delivered by private landlords
How you can help Helen Korfanty's campaign in Waveney
- Donating funds click here.
- Offering to display a poster or stake board
- Delivering Leaflets
- Manning street stalls
- Telephone Canvassing
- Door to door Canvassing Voters
- Telling on polling day
Contact us today on
Facebook Waveney Liberal Democrats
Published by Fiona Shreeve on behalf of Helen Korfanty (Liberal Democrats) all at 9 Marsh Lane, Somerleyton, Suffolk NR32 5QX